Help refugee families
People around the world are being forced to flee their homes. Help protect them.DONATE NOW
Imagine if everyone who lives in California and Texas — the two most populous states in the U.S. — were forced to flee their homes and leave everything behind.
That’s about how many people — 65.3 million — have been forcibly displaced from their homes around the world. For the first time in history, this number has exceeded 60 million — a tragic milestone that represents immeasurable human suffering.
Test your knowledge of the world’s refugee crisis — and learn more about how the UN Refugee Agency stands with vulnerable children, women and men along every step of their journey to a more peaceful future. Scroll down to the bottom of this page to find the answers.
1. How many people are displaced in the world every minute?
At a train station in Hungary, Maria Pamula, a UNHCR assistant protection officer, distributed bottles of clean, safe water to refugees who fled to Europe in 2015.
2. Which country hosts the most refugees?
a. United States
Arezoo, 38, who was a lawyer in Iran, completes her internship in the logistics department of Porsche in Stuttgart, Germany.
3. What percentage of refugees are children?
Siham, 10, in Jordan’s Za’atari Refugee Camp, where she and her family found refuge.
4. How many unaccompanied or separated children sought asylum in 2015?
Pierre, 14, who fled Burundi without his family, in a tent he shares with more 20 other unaccompanied children in Rwanda.
1. b. On average 24 people were forcibly displaced from their homes every 60 seconds in 2015.
2. d. Turkey hosts 2.5 million refugees.
3. c. 51% of the world’s refugees are children.
4. b. Some 98,400 unaccompanied or separated children in 78 countries lodged asylum
applications in 2015 — the highest number on record since UNHCR started collecting such data in 2006.
Here’s how you can help …
By joining our Refugee Response Team, you can provide food, shelter, medical care and education — and hope for a more peaceful future — to vulnerable refugees every day of the year in every corner of the world. Start making a lifesaving difference for refugees with a gift today.