The United States Association for UNHCR (USA for UNHCR) supports the UN Refugee Agency’s humanitarian work to protect and assist refugees around the world. The organization strives to meet the unmet needs of the world’s most vulnerable people, building support and awareness in the United States for UNHCR’s life‐saving programs. Established in 1989 by concerned American citizens, USA for UNHCR is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization.
USA for UNHCR has an immediate need for the following position:
Position: Director, Communications
Department/Division: Executive Office
Location: Washington, DC or New York, NY
USA for UNHCR seeks a communications professional to help document and disseminate information and stories about its work. This newly-created position is designed to help USA for UNHCR share its knowledge, experience and outcomes and impacts both internally and externally.
The ideal candidate will be an excellent writer, capable of producing material in a range of lengths and formats for diverse audiences and mediums. He or she will have the ability to synthesize and present complex information in ways that are understandable and easily shared by others, documenting stories and learning that inspire reflection and action.
This person will collect and share information about the work, accomplishments, and learning of USA for UNHCR and members of our global network. This person will also oversee media relations in the US and will coordinate their efforts with the Public Information Officer in UNHCR’s Washington, DC regional office. The purpose of this is to strengthen awareness of our programs, enhance our reputation and support our fundraising efforts.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Frequent and regular contact with USA for UNHCR fundraising units and key members of the UNHCR global network about their work and accomplishments;
- Writing news and updates on the work and accomplishments UNHCR and USA for UNHCR for a variety of media, including our website, public and private social media, emails and newsletters, annual reports, brochures, speeches, presentations and other forms/outlets;
- Producing or helping produce annual reports, case studies, donor and supporter newsletters, fundraising support and training materials;
- Curating, repackaging and sharing information from public media and USA for UNHCR social media that might support our fundraising and public awareness programs;
- Assisting in design, production, and dissemination of materials described above;
- Producing or helping guide production of materials for events and fundraising campaigns;
- Assisting staff to improve the quality and consistency of their communications through creation of templates, style guides, libraries of standard information, how-tos, copyediting and proofreading, and co-authoring materials;
- Ongoing monitoring of reach and impact of USA for UNHCR communications, including creation of regular reporting;
- Managing lists of contacts;
- Helping develop and implement internal editorial, content management, and digital asset management strategies and procedures;
- Helping administer relations with vendors including writers and researchers, photographers and videographers, developers, designers, and printers;
- General administrative and communications support for special events;
- Creation of communications strategies, plans and messages;
- Identify opportunities for positive, relevant media and exposure for USA for UNHCR- maximizing national and regional media opportunities;
- Act as key point of contact for journalists and media organizations.
EXPERIENCE & KNOWLEDGE
- Understanding of the complexities of working with an international humanitarian organization with multiple geographical operational sites;
- Experience in working within a United Nations system;
- Ability to manage a portfolio of high level clients with a high degree of results
- Commitment to the principles of the United Nations and refugee issues;
- Demonstrates strong interpersonal skills and excellent communication skills
- Outstanding interpersonal and self-motivational skills;
- Proven project management and excellent organization skills.
- Bachelor’s degree required;
- At least ten years of professional experience in communications, journalism, knowledge management or other activity with substantial responsibility for writing or reporting;
- Excellent writer and editor in English with the ability to write compelling and insightful material for wide range of audiences;
- Excellent interviewing skills – including the ability to connect to people from a wide ranges of backgrounds and cultures;
- Skills in graphic or web design, video production, photography, knowledge management, content management, communications/social media analytics, events marketing, or fundraising, preferred;
- Well-organized with ability to prioritize and organize multiple projects;
- Team player with good interpersonal skills, able to work within and manage diverse groups;
- Demonstrated commitment to high ethical standards and values consistent with those of USA for UNHCR;
- Work or educational experience in the developing world or work experience in the fields of philanthropy, corporate social responsibility, or non-profit work in the developed world;
- Fluency in languages in addition to English – particularly Spanish, French or Arabic, preferred.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit your cover letter and resume via email or US Mail to the following:
Mail: USA for UNHCR
Attn: Human Resources
1775 K ST NW, STE 580
Washington, DC 20006
Subject Line: Director, Communications
Resume Submittal Deadline: October 31, 2014