The United States Association for UNHCR (USA for UNHCR) supports the UN Refugee Agency’s humanitarian work to protect and assist refugees around the world. The organization strives to meet the unmet needs of the world’s most vulnerable people, building support and awareness in the United States for UNHCR’s life‐saving programs. Established in 1989 by concerned American citizens, USA for UNHCR is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization.
USA for UNHCR has an immediate need for the following position:
DEPARTMENT/DIVISION: Leadership Giving
WORK LOCATION: Washington, DC
Working closely with the Board of USA for UNHCR, and UNHCR’s Private Philanthropy team, the Major Gifts Planning Officer/Manager will develop and present a gift planning strategy that will ensure that planned and outright major gifts are secured for the organization. The Officer/Manager will be part of a strategic effort to build a first in-class Major Gifts and Planned Giving Program with the aim of raising $40M plus over the next ten years. This is a start-up position with a strong emphasis on major gifts; we seek the services of a highly experienced/motivated fundraiser with significant expertise in all facets of Major Gift work. The Officer/Manager will report to the Director of Major Gifts and Planned Giving.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Identify and cultivate planned giving prospects – including developing ways to find new prospects and following up on inquiries regarding planned giving program
- Identify potential major donor segments of database (data mining) and carries out additional research to support the organization in the development of a prospect pipeline and prospect qualification.
- The incumbent should be an experienced professional whose expertise goes beyond the theoretical and technical knowledge of their field. S/he will be able to demonstrate at least 6 years’ experience in major gift fundraising where they have taken prospects through the moves management process. They will have personally and/or via their team raised significant donations ($5 million plus) from influential and wealthy people and/or their companies and/or their foundations.
- Work with prospects to educate them on planned giving; soliciting and closing outright and planned gifts (irrevocable and revocable, including charitable remainder trusts, life insurance, charitable lead trusts, bequests and other estate gifts, and other deferred giving arrangements) focusing on 6- and 7-figure gift commitments
- Provide appropriate stewardship of assigned donors
- Work with U4U Legal and Finance teams to develop detailed gift acceptance policies, procedures and protocols for the various types of planned giving vehicles
- Keep informed about the development field in general, and specifically the IRS tax aspects of charitable giving and new regulations and revenue rulings affecting such gifts
- Interact with prospects, donors, family members, attorneys, advisors, representatives of financial institutions and others,
- Work with Large Giving Team to devise the U4U planned giving recognition strategies, including stewardship of donors, and developing and implementing individual and group recognition opportunities
- Complete special projects as assigned
- Engage and support active Board and donor participation in the development process
- Take responsibility for self-development and support a learning environment
- Display commitment to the mission of USA for UNHCR and its values.
Experience & Knowledge
- Understanding of the complexities of working with an international humanitarian organization with multiple geographical operational sites;
- Experience in working within a United Nations system;
- Ability to manage a portfolio of high level clients with a high degree of results
- Consistent closing of 5- 6- and 7- figure gifts preferred.
- Commitment to the principles of the United Nations and refugee issues;
- Demonstrates strong interpersonal skills and excellent communication skills
- Outstanding interpersonal and self-motivational skills;
- Proven project management and excellent organization skills.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Masters or Juris Doctorate preferred.
How to Apply:
Please submit your cover letter and resume via email or US Mail to the following:
Mail: USA for UNHCR
Attn: Human Resources
1775 K ST NW, STE 580
Washington, DC 20006
Subject Line: Officer/Manager, Major Gifts